If you have a desire for greater success and the intelligence to select a tool to help you realize that desire, then, David J. Schwartz says that you think big and you’ll live big.
The Magic of Thinking Big gives dozens of hardheaded, practical ideas, techniques, and principles that will enable you to harness the tremendous power of thinking big.
Step One: Believe in yourself, believe you can succeed.
1. Think success, don’t think failure.
2. Remind yourself regularly that you are better than you think you are.
3. Believe big. The size of your success is determined by the size of your belief.
Cure yourself of excusitis
It’s true that ‘If you really want to do it, you do it. There are no excuses.’ So, as Schwartz says, The more successful is the individual, the less inclined he is to make excuses.
The worst types of this disease are health excusitis, intelligence excusities, age excusities, and luck excusities.
Build confidence and destroy fear
One of the principles to Choose Yourself! is to have faith and confidence in yourself. The author of The Magic of Thinking Big explains that action does cure fear, and he encourages us to use this two-step procedure to cure fear:
1. Isolate your fear. Pin it down. Determine exactly what you are afraid of.
2. Then take action. There is some kind of action for any kind of fear.
How to think big
For thousands of years philosophers tell ‘Know thyself’, but most people interprets it like ‘Know only thy negative self.’
Big thinkers are specialists in creative positive, forward-looking, optimistic pictures in their own minds and in the minds of others. To think big, we must use words and phrases that produce big, positive mental images.
Four ways to develop the big thinker’s vocabulary:
1. Use big, positive, cheerful words and phrases to describe how you feel.
2. Use bright, cheerful, favorable words and phrases to describe other people.
3. Use positive language to encourage others.
4. Use positive words to outline plans to others.
Make your attitudes your allies
Attitudes are mirrors of the mind. They reflect thinking.
Grow these three attitudes. Make them your allies in everything you do.
1. Grow the attitude of I’m activated.
2. Grow the attitude of You are important.
3. Grow the attitude of Service first.