Timehack encompasses all of that – from the basic grocery list to meditation for clarity of mind, and projects that are undertaken for the simple enjoyment of them. It will also look at theories by a variety of business theorists, psychologists and philosophers, because the more things are different, the more they are the same. All of these things deal with developing a positive life/work balance that can improve productivity and have the potential to increase enjoyment of life.
Things you can do that will make a difference today
- Write down the thing you want more than anything else in the world. Don’t share it –let it be your secret. Put the paper away in a place where you can find it later.
- Make a list of the things to which you have committed yourself this day. That might be a particular activity at your job, a creative project that is due, or an appointment with a client or a tradesperson.
- At the end of the day, make a list of the thing you have accomplished, the things that will need to be transferred to the next day, and a list of the things you will need to do in order to realize your dream. A word processing document works well for this process because you don’t have to spend time re-writing your list.
- Ask yourself how many of the things on your do list were you able to accomplish?
- Ask yourself how many of the things you have done today will bring you closer to your Big Goal? There are no wrong answers to question four and five –but they serve a gage for whether you are making progress and whether your activities are working toward your secret goal.
Reflect on the past, plan for the future, but act in the Now
Having established that the moment that we are in is the time that we have in which to act, to plan, to make changes, what should be done with this minute? That is really up to you. The words that you say, the actions that you take in this minute will, of course, influence subsequent minutes even though they are currently out of reach and cannot be used at this time. It is almost as if some investor hands you a penny and says, “Spend it wisely. What you do with it determines whether you will receive any additional pennies.”
In today’s money market a penny is so negligible that your penny will have to be combined with others in order for it to make any meaningful change to your financial status. Minutes are rather like that. There are not very many activities that can be completed in one minute. But there are things that can happen that will determine the direction of all other minutes in front of you.