[perfectpullquote align=”full” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””] If the word doesn’t exist, invent it. -Charles Baudelaire. [/perfectpullquote]
- Are flashbacks fizzling your fiction? | KRISTEN LAMB’S BLOG
We need to broaden our understanding of the “flashback” because lumping every backwards shift in time under one umbrella won’t work.
- All about commas | THE WRITE PRACTICE
Commas matter. That tiny period-with-a-tail can change the meaning of your entire sentence, and your use of it quickly demonstrates just how well you know the English language.
The only grammar book you’ll ever need
‘Mentally risky’ means that authors often tackle subjects which can disturb others, by presenting unusual viewpoints, and causing the reader to question their usual attitudes.
- Building a story garden: The power of settings in fiction | WRITERS HELPING WRITERS
Setting is not a backdrop. It isn’t just a jumble of sights and sounds and smells and tastes and textures. It is so much more.
- The only character questionnaire you need to complete | WRITERS WRITE
Complete this questionnaire for your character even if you never use the information in your book.
1001 questions to help flesh out your character
- Character need: Psychological + Moral | WRITE ON SISTERS
Early on in my career, I learned that the hero’s WANT and NEED are two separate things and integral to the Character Arc.
- 5 Tips for editing dialogue | WRITER’S DIGEST
Dialogue is the writer’s equivalent of the Swiss army knife. What other storytelling tool lets you reveal character, advance the plot, establish the setting, and deliver a theme, all at the same time? Well-written dialogue is a fast and easy read.
+ Related books:
- How to write dazzling dialogue
- Writing success: Your book from start to finish to publication
- Outlining your novel
- Writing deep point of view
- The art of memoir
- Reading like a Writer
- Rock your revisions
- The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide To Character Expression
- WHAT’S IN A MIND?: Understanding antagonists | SCRIPT MAG
If a film or screenplay makes me loath but love, then empathise but hate the antagonist – all in one sitting – then a massive bravo to that screenwriter from yours truly (insert standing ovation here).
- How to sound like a professional screenwriter | LA SCREENWRITER
So, how do you know if you’re sounding like a pro or an amateur?
- Hitchcock and the ticking time bomb: Are we doing it wrong? | SCRIPT MAG
Alfred Hitchcock is without a doubt one of the giants of film and television.
- Why you should join a writers group | LA SCREENWRITER
You should join a writers group. Today.
- Why if you hate The Walking Dead? | KEN LEVINE
What must it be like for critics when time or circumstances make it harder for them to do their job?
- Super Structure: The key to unleashing the power of story
- Screenplay: The foundations of screenwriting
- Essentials of screenwriting
- Screenwriting: The sequence approach
- 33 Ways to sell your screenplay
- The eight characters of comedy
- Should you migrate your books from Smashwords to Draft2Digital? | SKIPJACK PUBLISHING
All my future books, I will aggregate through D2D. But not all my current ones. So what’s to stop me from adding all my books to D2D now?
- My latest advice on book publishing and marketing | JANE FRIEDMAN
Advice on how to make the jump from indie author to traditional publishing—or if you should
Build your global sales with Kobo writing life | THE BOOK DESIGNER
Why should self-published authors and small publishers distribute directly to Kobo? And how can you grow your global sales?
Why you can’t expect success from publishing a book | JUST PUBLISHING ADVICE
How do you know if your book is going to sell? You don’t.
How to customize your email newsletter sign-up forms to increase reader engagement | JANE FRIEDMAN
The connection with your email newsletter subscribers starts much sooner than you think. Connection begins somewhere unexpected, in a place that many gloss over or ignore altogether: your signup forms.
- Self Publishing: My rules to staying alive and making money
- How I sold 80,000 books
- Write. Publish. Repeat: The no-luck-required guide to self-publishing success
- Createspace & Kindle Self Publishing Masterclass
- The Self-Publishing Road Map