[perfectpullquote align=”full” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””] To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard. -Allen Ginsberg. [/perfectpullquote]
- Afraid the ending of your book or screenplay stinks? | PAT VERDUCCI
Endings are tough. And as you approach them, here are some of the biggest pitfalls…
- 37 Questions to ask your character | THE WRITE PRACTICE
- How to plot a book: start with the antagonist | HELPING WRITERS BECOME AUTHORS
It’s no crime to start your creative process with the protagonist. He is, after all, the hero of the story–the whole reason for the story. He’s presumably the most interestingand likable person in the entire book.
- Suspense writing: 7 hacks to notch up tension | NOW NOVEL
Suspense writing, when executed well, turns a simple story into an engrossing page-turner.Tension and pacing, narrative structure, elements of setting and character development are all important in writing suspenseful stories. Here are 7 ways to create suspense in fiction.
- 7 Simple things to remember about setting | WRITERS WRITE
You have these awesome characters, a thrilling plot with an epic story goal, but where are they? You have to create a complete picture. If you don’t, you run the risk of alienating your reader. We will not believe you, because we need the backdrop.
- Vexed about voice | TERRIBLE MINDS
Voice is interesting. Voice isn’t just your go-to vocabulary, your understanding of grammatical structure, your knowledge of rhythm. Voice is more ambiguous, more ethereal.
- How to boost your productivity like Leo Batuta | WRITE TO DONE
+ Related books:
- How to write dazzling dialogue
- Writing success: Your book from start to finish to publication
- Outlining your novel
- Writing deep point of view
- The art of memoir
- Reading like a Writer
- Rock your revisions
- The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide To Character Expression
- Writing great action sequences | SCRIPT MAG
During my tenure as an instructor, the biggest problem I see on a weekly basis are screenwriters who have trouble with action sequences.
- Video: The Evolution of pixar | GO INTO THE STORY
With Finding Dory now in theaters to a record-breaking box office performance, this video hit online a few days ago: “The Evolution of Pixar”
- Why horror screenplays are always in demand | LA SCREENWRITER
.Have you ever wondered why distribution companies like Blumhouse Productions continuously release two or more new horror movies every month?
- Big mistakes screenwriters commit which kill writing motivation | SCRIPT MAG
Screenwriters are guilty of two big mistakes which kill their writing motivation.
- Do your screenplays ask the big questions?| KEN LEVINE
Artists the world over have turned to their craft to express their profound sorrow, frustration, fear, confusion, feelings of helplessness, and anger.
- Super Structure: The key to unleashing the power of story
- Screenplay: The foundations of screenwriting
- Essentials of screenwriting
- Screenwriting: The sequence approach
- 33 Ways to sell your screenplay
- The eight characters of comedy
- Yet Another Kindle Unlimited Scam – Prawns! | JUST PUBLISHING ADVICE
Another day, another Kindle Unlimited scam. This time, it’s prawns! Well, shrimps for US readers.
The Myth About Print Coming Back and Bookstores on the Rise | JANE FRIEDMAN
I belong to a wide range of Facebook groups and follow a lot of media news, and few things are more frustrating than people who celebrate the apparent “resurgence” of print and the comeback of independent bookstores as some kind of “win” over ebooks and digital media.
Amazon Tries New Attack On Fake And Paid Reviews | JUST PUBLISHING ADVICE
The sorry saga of fake reviews on Amazon continues with a new tactic to thwart the practice.
Crowdfunding usually doesn’t work for writers–but it can | JANE FRIEDMAN
Crowdfunding can market and presell your book. Since most books fail to turn a profit, the ability to raise money and reader enthusiasm before expenses is a valuable resource.
How to use your book’s back matter to MASSIVELY boost your fanbase, get more shares, and explode your platform | CREATIVINDIE
So my books are doing pretty good; I’ve moved Shearwater to permafree and got over 5,000 downloads this month. But that made me realize I was probably missing a MAJOR opportunity to connect with those readers, so I checked my back copy (the material at the end of my book) and found it seriously wanting.
- Self Publishing: My rules to staying alive and making money
- How I sold 80,000 books
- Write. Publish. Repeat: The no-luck-required guide to self-publishing success
- Createspace & Kindle Self Publishing Masterclass
- The Self-Publishing Road Map