Dave Harken: Listen to me, you stupid little runt. I OWN YOU. You’re my BITCH! So don’t walk around here thinking you have free will because you DON’T. I can break you anytime I want!
– Horrible Bosses, 2011
Bad bosses don’t just exist in the movies.
While we are laughing at some outrageous scenes in the movie, we can be really concerned by the negative impact a bad boss have in our lives.
Here are some types of bad bosses:
- Narcissists.- They usually steal all your ideas to stand out and take all the credit. So you are stuck with no possibilities to walk up the career ladder.
- Ghosts.– You have apparently a boss but he or she is unreachable. So that means you are kind of ghost too. Nobody sees you; nobody cares about you.
- (Fake) friends.- They like you to think that they are your best friends and care about your career. They feel inferior so usually make you do things which they are responsible for. You are overloaded and overworked.
- Whirlwinds.– They have poor organization skills so they usually forget to tell you about a project. Obviously you have to work most weekends. It’s part of your job.
For sure you’re just an employee.
For sure you can try some mechanisms to see if the relationship can improve.
But when you see there’s no improvement, you just have one solution. And better do it sooner than later.
At that point you must be hating your job, so you are spending most of your waking hours complaining and gossiping (even and especially when you arrive home).
STOP complaining and gossiping, and START walking towards your dream job.
- Write down your dream job. (Or you can design a new one)
- Make an inventory of your relationships and skills.
- Let your relationships know about your job hunting.
- Improve your skills, and learn new ones.
- Work on your character and hustle.
- Do all you can in order to get your dream job–Sometimes we gotta take a less desired job because it will lead us closer to our dream job.