We all have experienced rejection. Fear. Anger. Grief.
They are not nice feelings, right?
Emotions are important since they impact on our physical, mental and spiritual health.
Even though they are signals, we don’t have to let them run our life. Actually we can control our emotions right away.
Amy Morin, author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do, explains that we all possess some degree of mental strength and there’s always room to improve your ability to regulate your emotions, manage your thoughts, and behave in a positive manner, despite your circumstances.
To be mentally strong doesn’t mean…
1. Acting tough.
2. You have to ignore your emotions.
3. You have to treat your body like a machine.
4. You have to be completely self-reliant.
5. Positive thinking.
6. Chasing happiness.
7. It’s the latest pop psychology trend.
8. It’s the synonymous of mental health.
So, what’s mental strength?
Amy Morin says, “to understand mental strength, you have to learn how your thoughts, behaviors, and feelings are all intertwined, often working together to create a dangerous downward spiral”
13 Things mentally strong people don’t do
1. They don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves.
2. They don’t give away their power.
3. They don’t shy away from change.
4. They don’t focus on things they can’t control.
5. They don’t worry about pleasing everyone.
6. They don’t fear taking calculated risks.
7. They don’t dwell on the past.
8. They don’t make the same mistakes over and over.
9. They don’t resent other people’s success.
10. They don’t give up after the first failure.
11. They don’t fear alone time.
12. They don’t feel the world owes them anything.
13. They don’t expect immediate results.
Wish to become one? Get started on the way you control your emotions.
How to be a mentally strong person? How can we control our emotions?
Tony Robbins, author of Awaken the Giant Within, gives us three steps that if we follow them, we will be able to conquer any emotion immediately.
First. Identify the signal.
Get down to the core emotion that really is controlling.
Signals are for you to take action: Reevaluate the way you’re perceiving something or the way you’re proceeding.
Change your state, your perception.
Second. Clarify what you want.
Third. Take action on that direction: Communicate your desire and work on getting that desire fulfilled.